Vamo: The Neighborhood, the Park, and the Lodge

(click photo for more information)

McClellan Park School: the struggle to save Sarasota's roots

(click photo for more information)


Built by local ship builders in 1928, Englewood’s Green Street (Methodist) Church was the community’s first church building. The simple wood-framed building cost $1,250 and was located on the corner of Magnolia and Green Streets. In 1962 the building was moved a short distance and turned to face Green Street. In 1979 the Church of the Nazarene purchased the building. When renovation plans were announced, the Lemon Bay Historical Society (LBHS) became concerned about the historical integrity of the church. After negotiations, the Church of the Nazarene transferred ownership of the building to LBHS but not ownership of the property. 

The Church of the Nazarene has expansion plans which require the relocation of the Green Street Church or its demolition. LBHS has acquired a permanent location for the church at the Lemon Bay Historical Cemetery on Indiana Avenue (State Road 776). Moving the church to its new location is quite expensive, requiring the steeple to be removed and power and telephone lines to be temporarily taken down during the actual move. Once the church is settled in its new home, more expenses are incurred as the electrical and plumbing are reconnected and the steeple is placed back on the church. 

Recognizing the importance of preserving this historic building which is on Sarasota County’s Register of Historic Places, the Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation presented the Lemon Bay Historical Society with a $2000 grant to assist with the project. The new location will provide the church more public visibility and accessibility. The Green Street Church is available for weddings, vow renewals, memorial services, musical events, and other public events. For more information, go to  

(click to enlarge photos)


C. B. Wilson House Restoration

On Saturday, November 13, 2010, the Wilson Family Home was officially opened in Urfer Family Park, near the corner of Bee Ridge Road and Honore Avenue in Sarasota. A large crowd came out for all the festivities and to see the historic home that was moved to this location in 2004. 

Sarasota County Commissioners and other notables praised the efforts of the many groups that contributed time, money, and sweat to the extensive rehabilitation of the 1906 house that was occupied by Dr. C.B. Wilson and his family.

Photos of the house and historic marker below L & R.  Center, then-President Debra Flynt-Garrett receives a plaque from Lorrie Muldowney, historic preservationist, in gratitude for the financial support received from SAHP to assist with moving and restoration of the building.  

A short video story of Dr.  Wilson was prepared for the event that shows him in his REO automobile – the first car in Sarasota. The actual move of the house and other interesting facets of this dedicated doctor are highlighted.


Jack West architect - 60 years of design

Architect Jack West was very influential in Sarasota's architecture during his time here with various partners from 1949 until his death in 2009. In honor of his incredible contributions to Sarasota's architectural landscape and preservation culture, the Alliance participated with Sarasota County and the Friends of the Sarasota County History Center to produce an exhibit of his projects.

Curated by architect and author Joe King, the exhibit was on display in 2011 in the historic Chidsey Library Building. The exhibit, open to the public, featured more than seventy architectural and urban planning projects and included designs for educational facilities, custom residences, civic and cultural buildings, recreational facilities, hotels, condominiums, and more. Although focused on the Sarasota region, the exhibit also showcased projects and competitions as far reaching as Paris and Egypt.

Sarasota Alliance For Historic Preservation, Inc. | All rights Reserved

PO Box. 1754 | Sarasota, FL 34230 | 941-254-3002 |